Pattern Drafting - Bodice Masterclass for a perfect fit. Jan 2024
Course Length: 6 hours (plus lunch break)/1 day
Saturday January 6th 2024. 10am -5pm
£145 - Materials included - Calico and Pattern paper
Learning to make your own patterns is the ideal next step for those with some experience of dressmaking to up-skill and unleash your creativity.
On this one-day masterclass, you will learn how to amend a standard bodice block to fit your own personal measurements and create a perfectly fitting bodice block. We will cover the magical art of dart manipulation to move suppression around the bodice and create any design you can imagine!
This course is taught by profession pattern cutter, Sarah Laws. Sarah has over 20 years experience working in the fashion industry and designing and grading patterns for indie brands including her own pattern brand My Handmade Wardrobe Patterns.
This course is not suitable for complete beginners. You should have had some experience of using a sewing machine and preferably have completed a 'Beginners Dressmaking' course or similar.
What will I learn?
· How to accurately measure yourself and fill in a handy body measurements chart
· How to use your measurements to adapt a standard block and create your own bespoke pattern making template including doing Small/Full Bust Adjustments as appropriate
· Tracing off the block and adding seam allowances and key information to start creating your own patterns
· Quick toiling techniques
· How to use and manipulate a flat 2D pattern block to create a 3D design with suppression
· Practical hands-on learning of pattern cutting theory using mini blocks
· How to move suppression (darts, gathers, pleats etc) around the bodice
· Fitting the bodice to your body – how to note fitting comments and spot and eliminate excess volume or tightness and drag lines
· Leave with a fitted bodice toile and a paper template to use to start creating your own designs